Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Power of Positive Therapy

As I was saying before, I tend to hermit myself and not get out much. Well, that kind of changed for me at the beginning of April when I started physical therapy twice a week for a month. I have to admit that I had a great big huge epiphany in March that even though I've been through hell in the not-to-distant past, I'm much more than the sum of my parts, and - newsflash - I've actually gotten through it and come out the other side... A SURVIVOR!! Wow. I guess I'm a lot stronger than I imagined! My grandmother used to tell me, when I had a problem or concern, that we're survivors, we come from a long line of people who had to work very hard to get what they needed. Her grandfather and great-grandparents came from Russia, as German Mennonites, through Ellis Island, to South Dakota, where they lived in a dug-out side of a hill for some time until they had enough money saved to go homestead in south-central Kansas. There's more to the story, however, I digress from the point of this post. Amazing how I do that again and again and again...

Sleep is important. I didn't fall asleep Friday night, I fell asleep at 4:00 Saturday morning, then woke up at 9:30. We went grocery shopping, then I was supposed to rest. Yeah, right, like that happened. I fell asleep Sunday morning at 1:00, then awoke at 10:00. So at least I got some deep sleep. Remember the post(s) on the effect of weather on my migraines? (Reference... well, previous posts. The subject has not been suppressed.) So, to that which I was alluding, it's been windy, I've had a killer headache all day, but I've not had to take my Maxalt (thank you Excedrin!), and my balance has been horrible! I feel like a pool ball. Do I have to choose a number? How about 12? 23? 44? Oh, hey, that last one's my age! Okay, I'll take the number 1. It's the first in the series, get it?

Crud. Got off topic again. Let's start over. I have PT tomorrow. And Wednesday. Thursday I return to the pain doctor. And Tuesday morning I have Andy's IEP meeting. (The young lady who drives the boys to school for me got her drivers license suspended for not having insurance. Ooooh my.) At least physical therapy helps. I start out on the cycle, going as long as I can, usually 5:00 minutes. Then I do soft squats, holding straps and using my legs to touch a chair and stand back up, using the straps only for balance. Last week she (Erin) had me lifting weights with each leg. We finished with her working on my knots to get them unstuck and loose. She even commented on how much better I'm walking! Straight up and down, not as curved as I used to be, but still have a long way to go. Onwards and upwards!

I want to go off-topic once again, this time about my beloved Uncle Matt, who passed away 21 years ago on April 22nd of complications from AIDS. The world lost a wonderful, beautiful human being. I miss him very much.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be trying to go to sleep. All's well that ends well. Or that sucks, whichever the case may be. I have PT in the morning. And it's supposed to be windy through Thursday. 💨 Yay!! Long live sarcasm! Ginger Whiskers is snoring above my right shoulder. Gotta go! Bye!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, if it's apropos. Ask questions!! 📖✏📐📚📜 (LEARN)