Thursday, January 9, 2014

Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky...

Migraine weather
Since the wind and me ain't agreein',
Keeps blowin' all the time...

(Props to Songwriters Harold Arlen & Ted Koehler)

Okay, now. I've been wanting to talk about how the weather affects my health. People who know me well, know that I get migraines as well as having AMN. When there's a low pressure system, especially with wind, I tumble, willy nilly, head over heels, until I land smack dab in the middle of First and Main in Migraine City. I tried putting that into the location of my status box on Facebook, but my phone and FB are not seeing eye to eye, or, rather, bit to bit. That's okay, I know where I am, however, I usually wish I could take cover under a rock. Or perhaps I could lend myself for employ to the airport as a runway light, as it feels like I have lasers shooting through my eyes from the back of my head. Alas, the couch becomes my resting place, the blanket my rock. If the headache is intense, I have at my disposal oxygen, and it brings sweet relief, helping me to relax until the Maxalt kicks in.

Part and parcel of windy days is the inability of my equilibrium to right itself quickly, like how it does in "normal" people. Now, please, don't think me of twisted thought, but there's nothing wrong with "normal" people. I just happen not to be one. I don't think I ever was. But that's beside the point. I lose my balance and am not in any way able to either walk a straight line or stop suddenly. I've fallen lots and lots of times. I try to do "soft" falls, like against a wall or a piece of furniture, so that I don't do any "hard" falls, which are all the way down forwards or back. I was told not to fall by the nurse at my pain doctor's office, because I can kink, twist, or break the line from my pump going to the epidural. I can also dislodge the epidural. Oh, and I have osteopenia, what you get before a diagnosis of osteoporosis. So if I fall and break a bone, it could get yucky. So I literally walk around my apartment touching things all way all day. I don't like to use my cane inside; I find it bulky. I have in mind a walker-type contraption that secures around the waist and has 8 strong, thin rods that radiate out slightly, and end in casters. That way, as I walk, I'm being straightened automagicly.

The changes in air pressure have their way with my muscles also, sending them into spasm, tightening and compacting them into little more than rocks. Red rocks. Hey, my favorite concert at Red Rocks was Big Head Todd and the Monsters. I just don't like whom I was with. Story for another day. My pump puts Baclofen directly into my spinal column, so that I don't have to depend on oral meds solely. I see the Great and Powerful Dr Ribnik at Pain Consultants on Monday to discuss adding a pain med to my pump too. We'll just have to see what happens.

I'm fatigued, so I'm going to go rest. Namaste, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, if it's apropos. Ask questions!! 📖✏📐📚📜 (LEARN)